Monday, September 8, 2008

Analytical Writing Part 1

In my high school teachers forced us to take notes in all of our readings. We would be given an assignment for a night, take notes in the actual text, then go over the reading in class with the teacher slyly eyeing our pages as we read to make sure they were sufficiently marked. My approach for analytical reading would be to first do a complete read through, stopping and taking note of words I did not understand with my dictionary. Then I would go back to search for symbolism and hidden meaning (especially in Shakespeare). Analyzing non- creative works and/or passages for classes like history was slightly more difficult for me. Instead of searching for hidden meanings or motifs, important facts would have to be noted and handpicked from the selection. Sometimes distinguishing what was of value and what was irrelevant was hard. What I eventually learned was the picking out relevant points became easier as I focused in on the main idea of the subject matter. I realized that in every persuasive essay, speech, informative paper and historical document there was a central thesis to start from. Once this central thesis was identified, moving on with my notes became much simpler.

1 comment:

bboyxslim said...

I am not quite familiar with analyzing many texts, but I also feel that fictional works would probably be a lot easier to analyze than nonfictional works. Since the fictional writings have many motifs and themes that could be inferred through the story, I feel like it would be easier to sight and analyze the text.