Monday, September 15, 2008

Elections and Campaigning

The election websites that I really found interesting were the non-major ones. Of that group, the website I feel that did the best job was the constitutional website. First off, to me, the graphics were only second to the Republican site. Also, the symbolic value of the colors red, white and blue were used the right way. After reading some of the articles I sort of realized the demographic this website was reaching. They were obviously looking for socially conservative voters, but the more I read the more I realized that this party was taking a step back from the battle of the major parties, coming out of the fray, and representing an alternative. Conservative voters voting republican by default may be drawn to his party. Also, I feel this website did a good job of conveying their message and values.

Conversely, I feel the democrats did a bad job conveying their message. McCain’s face and name appears more on the website than either Barack’s or Biden’s. In fact, you have to scroll all the way down to the lower left hand corner to see a picture of the two. In my view, the democratic website shows what big name politics have degraded too. The website devoted much less space to it’s party’s values and ideals and much more to the ideals of the opposition. It’s obvious that at this point that the Republicans are the only real opposition for the Democrats but that does not change the fact that they are not visibly putting their stance out their on the website. What they are doing is urging voters to align themselves with their party because the other party and candidate are terrible choices. Again, winning votes by default. Furthermore, Democrats have this luxury because of the last 8 unsuccessful years spent under the Republican regime. They also have the luxury of critiquing the position our government is in right now and offering change. Those two points sort of justify the layout of the website.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

You seem to have an excellent grasp of political discourse here, Henry. The phrase "stepping out of the fray" has often been used to describe the activities of third parties. How do you think that helps to shape their role? If they're not actively pursuing voters, what are they doing? Also, your attention to the "luxury" of the Democratic party seems very intriguing. I'd love to hear more about it from you in class today.

Keep up the good work! And post before 10pm!