Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Orwell and Didion

I see myself as an amateur writer who only writes because he has too. That doesn't mean that I hate writing, it just means that it is not my favorite thing to do. I'd much rather sit down to interpret and enjoy a great book than to write a decent essay. I enjoyed reading both Orwell and Didion's reasonings for why they write, and I have to say that I found Didion's to be much less interesting but more believable. Didion sort of explained o the reader that she was basically a writer by default. Because she could not think, she was forced to articulate and formulate her thoughts in words. Her reason for writing is much less spectacular than Orwell's glorified  call to political activism. What I found most interesting in Orwell's reasoning was his understanding of the way aggression played into writing. I do believe everyone has a voice they want others to hear and agree with. 

No comments: